National 3 Peaks Challenge
This classic challenge is a tough 24 hour challenge that has become very popular as a corporate event or as a fundraiser for many charities. Ben Nevis is best done first.
We can accommodate any size of group.
To complete the challenge within the 24 hours you need to be able to walk at the following speeds:
• Ben Nevis, Scotland’s highest mountain at 1344 m – estimated ascent and descent time 5 to 5½ hours.
• 6 hour drive to Wasdale Head – valley below Scafell Pike.
• Scafell Pike, England’s highest mountain at 978m – estimated ascent and descent time 3½ to 4 hours.
• 5 hour drive to base of Snowdon ( Pen-y-pass)
• Snowdon, Wales’ highest mountain at 1085m – estimated ascent and descent time 3 to 3 ½ hours.
These times add up to exactly 24 hours. So as you can see it is tight. The team we have built will support you by pushing you to achieve your best time, minimise the transition time between getting back to the valley and setting off for the next mountain (crucial).
We will meet you at Fort William railway station at 08:00, where you will receive a safety briefing and we will remind you of the logistics of the event. We will provide minibus transport to all mountains and then to Chester train station or similar at the end of the event. We will also provide qualified mountain guides to walk with you all the time, making sure you are walking at the correct pace to complete the challenge. You will have no navigation worries even in mist and darkness. You will have expert support, allowing you to focus on the challenge, This all gives you the best chance of completing the challenge. Safety equipment carried to include 1st aid kit, Group shelters, radio communication with valley support vehicle. High energy snacks and hot tea, coffee, hot chocolate, soup and lots of water to refill your bottles will also be provided.
Typical ratio of mountain guide to participants 1 to 8. For a group of 10 we will provide two guides per mountain.