Helvellyn - via 'The Edges'
This is a single day’s walk taking in the summit of Helvellyn (950m) ascending the famous ridge of Striding Edge and descending Swirral Edge.
This is a fantastic day’s walk over some challenging terrain. You will be accompanied by a fully qualified and experienced mountain guide who will be able to offer you support and reassurance as you move over this steep challenging ground.
Even though the terrain is steep it is a route that is achievable by most people with the help of a guide.
• The route starts off at Greenside mine next to the Helvellyn Youth Hostel. Accomodation and transport to and from the mountain can be arranged upon request at an additional cost.
• From Greenside Mine the route crosses Greenside Beck and heads west up the valley. Crossing Red Tarn Beck the route heads south, climbing steeply up to Red Tarn. After a short rest here we head to the ‘Hole in the wall’ and the start of the striding edge ridge.
• A careful traverse of the ridge and a steep final climb sees us on the summit of Helvellyn, the 3rd highest mountain in the Lake District at 950m.
• From the summit we can descend via Swirral Edge. This can be a little tricky, but can be safely done with care. There is an option to take in the summit of Catstye Cam after Swirral Edge.
• The route then descends back to Red Tarn and down to the valley and Greenside mine.
Total Distance 8km and 610m of ascent. Time 5 to 6 hours.
Experienced and qualified Mountain Guides walking with the group in a maximum ratio of 1 to 8.
The guides will carry 1st Aid kits, group shelters, confidence rope and radios.
Price is based on a minimum booking of 3 people.
£65.00 per person